Yes, but under certain conditions
Under what conditions?
- The trunk is located within 2m of an external enclosing wall of an approved dwelling or building
- Remove or prune any classified noxious weed
- Remove or prune any exempt species (see below)
- Remove fruit and dead leaves (fronds) from palm trees
- Prune to maintain power line clearances – a 500mm clearance from domestic
- Power lines or as specified by the electricity supplier.
- Prune branches up to 50mm diameter
- Prune to remove deadwood and mistletoe
Business and Industrial areas
- Any tree or other vegetation having a height of three (3) metres or more or a trunk circumference exceeding 300mm at 400mm above ground level;
- Any indigenous vegetation comprising more than five (5) trees with understorey.
- Any tree or other vegetation, within 20m of a dwelling house, having a height of three (3) metres or more or a trunk circumference exceeding 300mm at 400mm above ground level;
- Any indigenous tree or vegetation, not within 20m of a dwelling house, comprising more than five (5) trees with understorey.
- Any introduced vegetation, not within 20m of a dwelling house, having a height of three (3) metres or more or a trunk circumference exceeding 300mm at 400mm above ground level.
Does my council have an exempt tree list?
Yes, see the table below
Norfolk Island Hibiscus
Tree of Heaven
Tree work fees
Here are details on different fees related to tree permits and work.
- Tree Removal application fee – $85 per tree
- Vegetation removal application fee – $85 per vegetation
- Tree removal assessment fee (Rural areas) – $20 per tree for up to 5 without understorey vegetation
- Tree removal assessment fee (non-removal) – $20 per tree
- Vegetation clearing assessment fee (Rural areas) – $332 for trees exceeding 5
- Request to review determination fee (vegetation clearing application) – $350
- Request to review determination fee (Tree removal application) – $175
For anyone who is planning to remove or clear vegetation in any rural area of more than 5 trees, either with or without shrubs, as well as other native non-tree vegetation.
In case you are working on native vegetation and the clearing is exceeding 10m2
Then a permit is required.
Follow the link below for more details.
In case you are clearing the vegetation to facilitate development you can use the Development Application.
What about trees on public land?
Trees growing on public land and streets are owned by the council.
The council manages trees on public land. You are required to contact the council in case you have any questions or recommendations on council trees.
How to apply for a tree removal permit
Go to the above online form and fill it out to make a formal request for tree removal approval.
Penrith Council contact details
Mailing Address: PO Box 60 Penrith NSW 2751
Penrith Tree Preservation order - TPO
- Agnes Banks
- Badgerys Creek
- Berkshire Park
- Cambridge Gardens
- Cambridge Park
- Claremont Meadows
- Emu Heights
- Emu Plains
- Erskine Park
- Glenmore Park
- Jordan Springs
- Kemps Creek
- Kingswood Park
- Mount Vernon