Yes, but under certain conditions
Under what conditions?
Trees can be removed without council consent if they:
- Any vegetation is more than 5m tall on the site of a heritage item.
- Any other tree with a height of 10m, a crown width of 10m, or a trunk circumference of 1.5m measured at 1m above ground level (existing).
- Trees that are declared to be dead or dying as confirmed by an appropriately qualified arborist.
- Pruning of deadwood from a tree.
- Noxious weeds as prescribed by the Noxious Weeds Act, 1993.
What about Tree Pruning?
The council considers pruning, removal, or any activity as tree work.
As a result, pruning falls under the same category as tree removal.
As a result, you will need a council permit to do any pruning. The above-discussed conditions also apply.
No Exempt trees.
Is it illegal to remove trees without permit?
When you remove trees that require permits without obtaining a permit then you are guilty of an offense.
The council takes such cases seriously and penalties apply for anyone found guilty.
Which trees are council trees?
Any trees that exist on the streets, parks and any other public land are considered as council trees.
Who removes trees on Council Land?
The council oversees the trees growing on public land and streets.
As a result, the council carries out any maintenance required on such trees.
In case any tree needs to be removed, you can contact the council with details of where the trees are and why it needs removal.
Trees removed by the council are in case they meet the following conditions.
- They are becoming a nuisance to the public
- Trees damaging private property
- Trees that pose danger to private property
- Trees that are interfering or touching power lines
- Infested trees
- Damaged trees that require removal
Here is how to get your trees removed for free
The following are some of the things you can do in case you want your tree removed for free.
- Contact your power company in case trees are interfering with power lines.
- Advertise to offer parts of the trees or whole of it to anyone who can remove it for free.
How to apply for a tree removal permit
Go to the above online form and fill it out to make a formal request for tree removal approval.
North Sydney Council contact details
Mailing Address: PO Box 12 North Sydney NSW 2059