Yes, it is possible to remove a tree in Boroondara Council but under certain conditions
Under what conditions?
- A tree can be removed or if it is NOT a “canopy tree” or a registered “Significant tree”
- A canopy tree is one with a trunk circumference greater than 110cm at 1.5m above the ground.
- If your tree is smaller than this, then you can remove, but first, check the significant tree register below to make sure it is not registered.
You can also remove if
The tree is dead, dying or is posing an immediate hazard to persons or property. You will need to document with photos before removal.
Note: “significant tree register” means a register of trees of cultural significance to the Council, which is kept and maintained by the council.
Illegal Tree removal fine in Boroondara
Boroondara council is very serious about establishing a tree canopy in the region hence why they came up with the Tree Protection Local Law 2016.
The law is meant to protect the current trees while planting new ones to further bolster the canopy. if you have a local Melbourne tree lopper remove your tree illegally, you will both have to pay a $2,000 fine per offence.
Here is how to protect a tree from removal in Boroondara
Sometimes you may identify a tree that you think should be protected due to its amazing qualities. In such a case, there is room to nominate to be included in the significant tree register.
The following are steps to follow.
- Check and confirm that the tree is not already protected.
- Check the criteria used by the council to accept a nominated tree. There are various factors considered and that will help you know whether your tree qualifies.
- Inform the owner in case the tree is on private land. Make sure the details of the owner are also in the application form.
- Then submit the nomination form.
- The next step is to await an assessment where the council assigns a qualified arborist the task to assess the tree.
- Once the council has made a decision to protect the tree, then it will be included in the significant tree register when next updated. Remember this can sometimes take between 2 and 3 years.
Significant tree register
This is a register of all tree that Boroondara City Council deems to be significant. You will need to check if your tree is included in this list.
How to apply for a tree removal permit
Go to the above online form and fill it out to make a formal request for tree removal approval.
Bayside City Council Tree Preservation order - TPO
The above is a summary for your local Councils tree preservation order. Please follow the link for the full document.
Boroondara City Council contact details
Phone: (03) 9278 4444
Mailing Address: Private Bag 1, Camberwell Victoria 3124
Boroondara City Council Tree Preservation order - TPO
The above is a summary of your local Councils tree preservation order. Please follow the link for the full document.