Enter the location of your tree job
Tell Us About
Your Tree Job
Up to 4 Tree Loppers Compete
For Your Business
The Best One
FEATURED AND TRUSTED BY:
Tree Removal Darebin Council Regulations
Updated: 31 March 2020
Can I remove a tree in Darebin without a permit?
Yes it is possible to remove a tree without a permit in Darebin, but under certain conditions outlined in their Tree Preservation order (TPO).
We have summarized this conditions below.
Under what conditions?
A permit is required to remove, destroy or lop any vegetation that is in Darebin’s Vegetation Protection Overlay (VPO)
The overlays are for:
The Former Kingsbury Center
Mount Cooper Estate
The Springthorpe Hope Estate
Lancaster Gate Site
Are there exemptions?
Yes, if your property is in the overlay above there are some cases when you can still remove your tree.
- If the vegetation has been planted for pasture, timber production or any other crop. To any action which is necessary to keep the whole or any part of any vegetation clear of an electric line provided the action is carried out in accordance with a code of practice prepared under Part 8 of the Electricity Safety Act 1998.
- Within electricity supply easements in order to minimize the risk of bushfire ignition in the proximity of electricity lines
- If the tree presents an immediate risk of personal injury or damage to property.
- If the removal, destruction or lopping of vegetation is necessary for emergency access or emergency works by a public authority or municipal council.
- For fire fighting measures, periodic fuel reduction burning, or the making of firebreaks up to 6 metres wide.
- If the removal, destruction or lopping of native vegetation is necessary for the making of a fuel-break by or on behalf of a public authority in accordance with a strategic fuel-break plan approved by the Secretary of the Department of Sustainability and Environment.
- The maximum width of a fuelbreak must not exceed 40 metres.
- To the removal of ground fuel within 30 metres of a building.
- To the removal, destruction or lopping of the minimum extent of vegetation necessary for establishing sight-lines for the measurement of land by surveyors in the exercise of their profession, and if using hand held tools.
- If the vegetation is proclaimed as a noxious weed or is bracken (Pteridium esculentum), burgan (Kunzea ericoides (previously Leptospermum phylicoides)) or manuka (Leptospermum scoparium) and which land is on.
Darebin Tree Protection Local Law
It is a law by the Darebin City Council meant to protect urban character and enhance it by effectively controlling pruning and removal of trees within private land.
The objective of this law is to make sure that urban forest is safe, and healthy so as to improve liveability and provide amenities to the community.
That is by;
- Regulating, prohibiting and controlling any activities that may put protected trees within Municipal District in danger.
- Applying controls that complement those applied by city council in maintaining and protecting trees.
Street and Nature Strips Trees
Nature strip trees are trees that exist between your property boundary and road-side.
The trees in this area are protected by the council.
However, in case such trees are damaged or interfere with your property then you should contact Darebin Council and ask them to trim the trees.
Upon making your request, the council will inspect the trees through an arborist within a period of 5 days.
Once the inspection is done, they will decide the most appropriate action.
For residents, they will leave a card on your letter box indicating the next action and when it will take place. Most expected actions include pruning or removing the tree.
Arborist Cost Guide Tree Removal Cost Guide Tree Pruning Cost Guide Palm Removal Cost Guide Stump Removal Cost Guide Tree Felling Cost Guide How to Save on Tree Removal Council Tree Regulations Company Selection Guide How Go Tree Quotes Works 10/30-50 Rule NSW Tree stump grinding cost Tree services near me Arborist near me Tree removalist
Where is the VPO?
This is something we found difficult to determine. The best links we can provide you of the locations of the Vegetation Protection Overlay or area these;
Location 1: Unable to determine
Location 2: Former Kingsbury Centre cite
Location 3: Mout Cooper Estate
Location 4: The Springthorpe hope estate
Location 5: Lancaster Gate site
How to apply for a tree removal permit
Go to the above online form and fill it out to make a formal request for tree removal approval.
Darebin City Council contact details
Darebin City Tree Preservation order - TPO
The above is a summary for your local Councils tree preservation order. Please follow the link for the full
There are a few ways to go about it. You should always go for qualified arborist with plenty of experience. Make sure they have more than 20 reviews online and have a minimum score of 4.5 stars or great.
We can match you with a top voted tree removal service in Melbourne here. Just enter your postcode and a few details about your tree job and get 3 obligation free quotes from local top voted contractors.
The cost to remove a tree will depend on a few different factors. Things like the size of the tree, number of branches, the species and location on your property will all play a role.
The average cost of tree removal is $871. But the real range is $225 – $4,500. Make sure you get at least 3 quotes before deciding on one company.
Tree removal and pruning is difficult to quote just by a description over the phone. Same goes for sending pics of the tree. This is because it is hard to gauge the actual size of a tree from images as well as look at access for machinery. An on-site inspection is needed to make sure you are given a fair price.
You may prune any branches that are hanging over your yard from your neighbour’s side, just as long as you are working within the cities Tree Preservation Order.
You may remove your neighbour’s branches, but if it violates council tree pruning laws, you will get a fine. You are best speaking to a local arborist first before proceeding.
Tree trimming will vary depending on the tree, number of branches and access. The average price of tree trimming is $429, but that the true price range is $75 – $1,800.
You can check out our Tree Trimming Cost Guide here to get a better idea of tree trimming cost by tree size. Or you can use this Free Service and compare local top rated tree service actual quotes.
Author: Ben McInerney is a qualified arborist with over 15 years industry experience. He uses his in-depth knowledge of the tree service industry to give readers to most accurate information on tree service costs and helps to educate about the benefits of using a certified arborist for tree trimming and removal work.
FEATURED AND TRUSTED BY:
Cost Calculator for tree lopping
Enter the location of your tree job