Logan City Council has strict laws on tree removal if the tree in question is in a protected biodiversity zone. These three zones outlined below.
If your tree is outside these zones you are safe to remove without a permit. There are also some exemptions that allow the removal of trees within the protection overlays such as clearing for fire hazard reduction and controlling problem species. Details are outlined below.
Trees can be removed as long as they are not in one of the following protected zones:
- A biodiversity corridor
- A Koala Corridor
- An environmental management and conservation area
Map of the above overlays: Biodiversity overlay maps 1.5 PDF
Are there exemptions?
1. Clearing on a lot less than 5,000m2 outside specified zones/areas
The clearing is limited to the following circumstances:
Clearing (other than of remnant endangered regional ecosystem mapped under the Vegetation Management Act 1999) is on a lot less than 5,000m2 in the area and is not located in:
- The Environmental management and conservation zone;
- The Rural zone;
- The Rural residential zone;
- The Acreage precinct in the Low-density residential zone;
- The Emerging community zone;
- A Koala corridor identified on Biodiversity areas overlay map—OM-02.02.
2. Clearing for, or for services or access to, approved development
Clearing falls within one or more of the following circumstances:
- Clearing is limited to within an approved development envelope area.
- Clearing is in accordance with an infrastructure agreement.
- Clearing is for construction or maintenance of:
- a service corridor to provide above or underground utility service to an existing or approved dwelling or approved development envelope area, and the clearing is limited to two metres in width from the centre point of the corridor; or
- An access way to an existing or approved dwelling or approved development envelope area, and the clearing is limited to five metres in width.
3. Clearing for fire hazard reduction
The clearing is for fuel reduction around an existing or approved class 10 building or structure, limited to:
- The removal of native vegetation in the inner zone (within five metres of the outermost projection of the building or structure) as identified in Figure 184.108.40.206.2—Fuel reduction zones for class 10 buildings;
- The removal of native vegetation other than a native tree from the outer zone (within five metres of the outer edge of the inner zone) as identified in Figure 220.127.116.11.2—Fuel reduction zones for class 10 buildings;
- For a building or structure on a sloping site, removal of native vegetation other than a native tree for the following further distance beyond the outer zone:
- One metre for every degree of slope, downslope of the building or structure;
- 0.5 metres for every degree of slope, upslope of the building or structure.
4. Clearing for management of native vegetation or control of problem species
The clearing is limited to management and maintenance of native vegetation (other than native trees or native habitat trees):
In connection with the maintenance of an existing lawful garden; or as part of a regular ongoing maintenance program for the mowing and slashing of grass.
The clearing is of the following native species:
- Cadaghi (Corymbia torelliana); or
- Umbrella tree (Schefflera actinophylla).
How to apply for a tree removal permit
As the policy for tree removal in Logan city is pretty relaxed with a lot of exemptions, if you do need to apply for a permit, it’s quite the process. You will need to put in a development application with the council.
I would suggest you phone or email the Environmental assessment team first before lodging an application to make sure you have not missed anything in the rules that will allow you to get removal without approval.
Taking this step could save you a lot of time and effort in lodging applications.
Logan City Council Environmental assessment team
Phone: (07) 3412 3412
Logan City Council Tree Preservation Fact Sheet
- Boronia Heights
- Browns Plains
- Daisy Hill
- Heritage Park
- Logan Central
- Logan Reserve
- Park Ridge
- Regents Park
- Rochedale South
- Shailer Park
- Slacks Creek
- Tanah Merah
- Waterford West
- Bahrs Scrub
- Edens Landing
- Mount Warren Park